Wednesday, 1 April 2015

Italianate cabinet...with mahogany effect - Doda



 This is another of the units I recently decorated for Tonic Studios. This is their Verona unit. I chose to create a mahogany wood effect  for this unit using their Nuvo Acrylic Paints and Matt medium.
The base coat is Walnut brown. I applied two coats of this. Then I mixed up a glaze for the top coat . I used 5 teaspoons of  Burnt Umber, 5 teaspoons of matt medium and a half teaspoon of Black. I then brushed it with a large flat brush to create my wood-grained effect.


 I think it turned out quite effective. The die cuts on the top were cut from thin card painted in the same way and then the whole lot was varnished together with a gloss varnish.


 I laid out card cut to the size of the drawer fronts onto the design I had printed for the front of the drawers so that I could lay the design over the whole frontage.


 I think the crackle glaze looks amazing on this.


 And to think it started out as an MDF blank. It's amazing what you can do with paint, paper, glue and varnish isn't it!

Don't forget to check out the rest of my blog. 

Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. Love the way you have decorated this cabinet. I have one to assemble, and I'm still uming and ahing as to what to kind of treatment to give it, so thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete