Saturday, 19 April 2014

Using Square Dies to Cut Rectangles

I had photographed this tutorial before Tonic launched their Layering Rectangle dies and when I learnt of the new dies, I thought my tutorial would have gone to waste.  However, as the new dies have a wider margin between layers with the same edge style, this tutorial can still be used to create in-between sized rectangles (if that makes sense)?  So this tutorial shows how to get more out of your Square Dies by extending them to cut rectangles!

If you would like a copy of these instructions, pop over to my blog DipsDesigns, where there is a PDF to download or print off.
Step 1
Measure the outer edge of your square die.  In my example (excuse the slight blurriness of the first photo), my outer edge measures 9.8cm and I know that this cuts a 9.3x9.3cm square.  I know need to cut a piece of card that's length is exactly 9.8cm+the extra length I want to acheive. So if I want a rectangle that is 2cm longer ie 11.3cmx9.3cm, I need to cut a piece of card that is exactly 9.8cm+2cm = 11.8cm.  The width doesn't matter as long as it is a bit wider than the die.
Step 2
Butt the edge of the die to the bottom edge of your piece of card and tape into place.  Place this on the cutting plate so that the other end of the die comes off the end of mat (below left). Cut and then emboss this piece (below middle).  You will now have a piece of card cut along thrtee sides (below right).
Step 3
Remove the card from the die, and re-allign the die flush to the opposite end of the cardstock. Manoeuvre  the die so that the cut edges slot into place (this can be a little fiddly but you will feel it when it gets seated correctly, and I find it helps if you trim off the outer flaps).  Tape into place, making sure the it is now the end that has already been die cut that is off the edge of the cutting mat.  Cut and emboss again.

You should now have a perfectly die cut and embossed rectangle.
Please do let me know if you have found this helpful, I love to read your feedback.


2 comments: