Saturday, 7 December 2013

Dips' Top Picks when all you want for Christmas is......Tonic!

Have you been naughty or nice?  Is Santa (or for that matter, are family or friends) looking for some inspiration on what a keen Crafter might like in their Christmas stocking?  If so, peruse my top 10 picks.  These are the tools that are permanently out and in use in the Dips' Craft Room, and it's great to always have the right tool for the job in hand.

1.  Simplicity Butterfly Strip Punch RRP £11.99

You know you're completely hooked on crafting when you start looking at the so-called "waste" coming out of your Butterfly Strip Punch, and then designing a whole card around it, as with my Kaleidoscope of Butterflies card.
2.  The Tonic Super Trimmer  RRP £21.99

I generally like to leave a 2-3mm border on my mats and layers, so I need to be able to cut mats 5mm larger than my patterned paper. I hate wonky edges and feathering, nothing I need to worry about with the Tonic Super Trimmer.  Accuracy is also key when you want to cut a decorative edge with a paper punch, especially if you want to punch both sides as I did with this 70th Birthday card.



3.  A Corner Rounder (or Two)  RRP £5.49 -£5.99

Rounding off the corners to your mats adds a professional finish to your cards especially if you are matting up one of the square Verso bases which have rounded corners as I have here with my Charming Silver, Black and White Christmas Card.  If I'd left the corners squared off, the card would have jarred slightly.  I used a 10mm corner cutter here as I wanted a broader curve than given by the 5mm version, but both have their place.
4. Floral Crafter's Tool Kit RRP £16.99

As well as paper crafting, I also enjoy Sugar Craft and have learnt from that medium what a difference having a range of floral shaping tools makes to the results you can achieve (have a look at my cake decorating projects here).  You may well have a ball tool in your craft kit, but you will thank the day that you bought or received the range of different sized ball tools and shaping mat in Tonic's Floral Crafter's Tool Kit.  I used it to add shape and dimension on my Red Door and Christmas Wreath Card.


5. Butterfly Beautiful Topper and Die Set RRP £22.98

Yes, I know, you think I've messed up - there's not a butterfly in sight in this example and it's a Father's Day Gift Set and Card! However, I'm mainly referring to the sooooo useful Tag Die Set that Tonic Studios have almost hidden away in this Topper kit.   I've reached for either the banner, tag or large label in this kit on almost every card I've made since these were launched in the summer.  I even used it to make the bunting in my Father's Day Card.


6. Birds on a Branch Stamp Sets 1 & 2 (RRP £9.99 each)

Tonic are best known for their Dies, Punches and Tools, but they've also designed some lovely stamps too.  I think my favourites (although it's hard to choose) would have to be the stamps that coordinated with the Watch The Birdie range, which I used on my un-originally entitled Watch the Birdie Card!  See below for my pick of the dies from this range.


7.  Domed Window Die  RRP £11.99

If you are kind enough to be a regular reader of my Saturday blogposts for Tonic, you'll know that I'm currently kind-of obsessed with the Domed Window Die!  It is such a versatile die, I've used it with views looking in and out of the window, and recently even blogged on how to make a door out it.  However, this Clean and Simple Christmas Card just shows it at its simple best.


8.  Bird Cage Die RRP £14.99

It's no secret that I like my dies to do much more than they were originally designed for and a great case in point in the Bird Cage die.  Now in Pick 6, I showed it being used as intended but have you spotted that I used the door from this die to create a Christmas Bauble topper on my Christmas Cracker Sneak Peek?





9.  An A3 Tonic Glass Mat RRP £19.99

You will have seen my Tonic A3 glass mat lurking in the background on my step-by-step tutorials and I would be lost without it.  I use it to craft on all the time.  Of course, the A3 title is a complete misnomer, it is much larger than A3 and is the perfect surface for cutting, stamping, colouring, glueing, assembling, inking, spritzing.... I think you get my drift!

10.  Sshhhh ????

When I'm allowed to, I'll come back and edit this post but even though lots of eagle-eyed viewers of Create and Craft have spotted this item in Jodie's hands over the past few shows, I'm not allowed to reveal it just yet!  However, it will be released in time for Christmas, and it you have lots of Tonic Dies that you're having trouble storing safely, then do leave room on your Christmas list for the much anticipated ****************** (launching on Friday 13th December)!

I hope that my picks have given you some ideas for Christmas. Don't forget to join Jodie on Create and Craft at 9am on Monday 9th December for Tonic Studios £50,000 giveaway which features several of the tools that I've included in my Pick List.  

Finally, over on my own blog DipsDesigns, I'm celebrating my 100th BlogPost.  My lovely friends here at Tonic have very, very kindly supplied me with a great prize to giveaway as part of my celebrations, so do pop over to DipsDesigns 100th Post Celebration Giveaway and enter the prize draw.

Have a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment